First of all, thank you for purchasing Volatyl! You’re awesome.
Now that you have it, it’s time to get it set up for use. Fortunately for you, that’s a breeze. Let’s walk through the steps to making that happen.
Downloading Your Software
If you haven’t downloaded Volatyl yet, search for the email that was sent to your after your purchase. If you are reading this article, chances are you were linked here from that very email.
In that email, a link was provided to download Volatyl. Also in the email is your license key. You will need that to enable automatic updates in the future.
If you are logged in, you can simply visit the members area for a link to download the latest version of Volatyl.
Now that you have Volatyl downloaded, installing it on your WordPress website is easy.
How to Install Volatyl
Of course, you need to have WordPress installed on your server before you can install Volatyl. For instructions on how to install WordPress, visit the WordPress Codex.
With WordPress installed and functioning properly, log into your dashboard and follow these steps:
- Update WordPress! Conduct “maintenance” on your WordPress installation before installing Volatyl to ensure there are no conflicts. This should be done before installing anything.
- Navigate to Dashboard => Appearance => Themes => Install Themes (tab) => Upload (link)
- Browse your computer for the zipped Volatyl folder that you downloaded. You do not need to unzip the folder. Once you’ve selected the zip file, click the “Install Now” button and let WordPress do the heavy lifting.
- After a short series of processes, you will receive a “Theme Installed Successfully” message and be given the option to see a live preview, activate Volatyl, or return to the Themes page. Simply activate Volatyl.
That’s it! Volatyl is installed and ready to use.
Setting Up Volatyl
With Volatyl installed, you’re technically ready to rock and roll. However, there are a few things you may want to do first.
Activate Your License Key
It is important to understand that Volatyl will work whether you activate your license key or not. The key simply gives you access to a lifetime of automatic updates through the WordPress dashboard.
To activate your license key, follow these steps:
- Navigate to Dashboard => Appearance => Volatyl Options => License (tab) and enter your license key into the field.
- Click the “Send License Key Changes to Database” button to submit your license key to your WordPress database.
- Once your license key is submitted, click the “Activate License” button and you should receive a prompt saying your license is active. If not, please ensure that you copied your license key correctly. If it still does not work, visit the support forums for assistance.
With your license activated, you will receive update “nags” in your WordPress dashboard that prompt you to update Volatyl with one simple click.
Always backup your site before updating!
You’re actually done “setting up” your Volatyl website at this point. However, you may want to take advantage of the powerful Volatyl Options.
To do so, navigate to Dashboard => Appearance => Volatyl Options. There, you will find a tabbed page of options that you may use to customize the structure and content output of your website.
Tutorials on how to use these options can be found in the documentation section. The options are really easy to use, though, so you shouldn’t have very many issues.
Understanding and Using Child Themes
Please understand that Volatyl is a framework and is intended for custom use as it stands. This does not mean that your site cannot run Volatyl by itself. It can. However, you should not customize the core Volatyl files including the
style.css file and the
Instead, you need to install a child theme where you are free to do any kind of customization your heart desires.
To understand how child themes work, check out the detailed tutorial explaining it all.
If you are already familiar with how child themes work, you should download the free starter child theme.
Volatyl Framework Support
Things may not always go as planned. Likewise, you may have questions that have not yet been address anywhere else. Please do not hesitate to register to the support forums for assistance, questions, comments, or feedback.
Support is free and does not have any special account requirements. Simply register and communicate!
Thanks again for purchasing Volatyl.
Happy blogging! 🙂
Return to docs